return to the mainland in 1936, it was reboilered and renumbered
No.2678, joining the fleet of Terriers used on the Hayling Island
branch until 1940, when it was sent on what proved to be an
extended loan to the K&ESR.
from brief trips away, such as a visit to Brighton works in
1949 following a derailment near Wittersham Road, No.32678 stayed
at Rolvenden and, along with 32655, better known today as the
Bluebell Railway’s Stepney, shared in the working
of the last passenger trains on 02 January 1954. Even then,
its association with the K&ESR did not end, for it frequently
returned to pull goods trains or the occasional passenger special.
of the Hayling Island branch finally ended its BR career and
in 1964 it was sold to Butlins, becoming an exhibit in the children’s
playground at Minehead. Here it had the illustrious company
of Stanier Pacific No.46229 Duchess of Hamilton.
1975, a lengthy restoration began, first at Resco Railways in
Woolwich and then at Rolvenden. This took many years to complete,
but No.32678, now in BR lined black livery, was in service in
time to take part in the re-opening of the K&ESR extension
from Northiam to Bodiam in April 2001.
wholly owned by The Terrier Trust, who purchased it
following an appeal, when the previous owner wished to sell,
No.32678 is a regular performer on the line. In recent years,
Knowle has paid visits to the Bluebell, Severn Valley, North
Yorkshire Moors, Mid-Hants and most recently, the West Somerset.
Wherever she works, 32678 attracts widespread attention because
of its lively performance for such a diminutive engine.