A brief history of K&ESR No.3 Bodiam – BR No.32670
by Dr. Gerald
is the second oldest of the surviving LBSCR Stroudley Terriers,
having been built at Brighton works in December 1872 as one
of the first group of the class. The Bluebell Railway’s
No.72 Fenchurch also came from this batch, entering
service just before Bodiam. The original name of No.70
was Poplar, reflecting that the class were mainly intended
for work on the East London line.
nearly 30 years, the engine was sold to Mr. Holman Fred Stephens
for use on the newly opened Rother Valley Railway, which changed
its name to the more familiar Kent & East Railway three
years later in 1904. This railway remained the engine’s
home for most of the time until closure of the line in 1954.
Originally painted in blue livery, it spent much of its time
in green until painted black by BR. The engine was never owned
by the Southern Railway and carried the number 3 until BR renumbered
it 32670 in 1948.
the closure of the K&ESR to passenger services, No.32670
travelled quite widely, seeing much service on the Havant to
Hayling Island branch, where Terriers were the only engines
permitted due to severe weight restrictions on Langstone Bridge.
At the ripe old age of 88, it received a general overhaul in
1960, but closure of the branch in 1963 brought its final withdrawal
from BR services.